Jan 7, 2013

Weekend treats

Normal people make rum balls at Christmas time, I made protein balls...as a present for J. And he loved them. So yesterday I made some more.

When I say protein balls, most people make a face that says "I can't believe you eat that tasteless shiz". But I actually really like them. They taste good (well, some of them do) and they're so filled with protein-y goodness...mmmm. The problem is they can become an expensive habit at $4 to $5 a packet so I figured the internet would have a solution to this. And the internet did not disappoint.

I found Teresa Cutter's website and this recipe for protein balls. They are absolutely yummy and so addictive! 

These are my protein balls from yesterday:



My tips for the recipe:
  1. I used almond meal instead of whole almonds. (laziness)
  2. I added pepitas and sunflower seeds to the mix.
  3. Last time, I rolled the balls in sesame seeds, cocoa and quinoa flakes as I didn't have dessicated coconut. 'twas yum!
  4. If the coating doesn't stick to the balls, wet your hands a little bit when forming the balls. This will help the coating stick better.
  5. Instead of spreading the dessicated coconut out on a plate, I put it in a bag and threw the balls in one at a time and tossed them around. I find this coats the balls much better.
My green smoothie
I am also VERY into smoothies right now. I have a little Sunbeam stick blender that cost me all of $40 to buy and I reckon it's one of my best investments in kitchen equipment. It was really hot on Sunday so I didn't feel like a thick, heavy smoothie. So I tried my hand at a "green" smoothie for the first time. It was delish!

Ingredients:
  1. Flesh from 1 grapefruit
  2. Flesh from 1 lime
  3. Handful of mint leaves
  4. 1 banana
  5. Handful of spinach leaves
  6. Honey (if you'd like a touch more sweetness)
  7. 1 scoop protein powder (optional)
Simply blend all ingredients together.

Green smoothies seemed a repulsive idea to me before but I actually really like them now and definitely recommend them. It's a whole new way of eating spinach, that's for sure.


No comments: