Jan 14, 2013

Thoughts on:The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest

I finally finished reading Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy last week. High five.

This also means, I finished reading the first book for BOTH my reading challenges. Double high five.

No plot spoilers coming up, promise.

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest is only 658 pages. It's been way too hot at night this last week and I compensated for my lack of sleep by reading at break-neck speed. It's a great final installment of the trilogy and although the first (The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo) is still the best, I definitely recommend reading the entire Millennium trilogy. The second book (The Girl Who Played With Fire) goes slightly downhill but the pace picks back up again in Book No. 3.

Stieg Larsson is a really great writer and addresses so many social and humanitarian issues in these books and I love that. The books are not just fiction thrillers but tell a tale of so much more about Swedish society and the realities of the world.

There are pros and cons to each of these books and if anything I'd say Larsson's attention to detail in his attempt to paint a picture can get a bit tedious at times. But, it's forgivable considering the rush these books provide - you just have to know what happens next. It's sad Larsson never lived to see how well his books are doing and the reading pleasure they provide.

Oh and this wasn't intended to be a review - just my thoughts on the book. May be now I can watch the movies.

Moving on, my current reading list:

  • Sea of Poppies - Amitav Ghosh
  • Steve Jobs - Walter Isaacson
I usually read 2 books at once and I am anticipating the Steve Jobs biography to be a long read (it's only about 600 pages and no thriller like the Millennium trilogy so I will take my time with it, I'm sure).


No comments: