Nov 7, 2012

#NaBloPoMo: Of compliments

Today's prompt is: Talk about the last compliment you received.

Compliments. I love them. Giving them more than receiving them. But receiving them is always nice.

I compliment people a lot (genuinely) but I'm very often blown away by how many people don't know how to accept a compliment. I was always taught to receive compliment graciously, with a "thank you" so it irritates me when people respond to compliments by laughing at the complimenter; by trying to out-compliment the complimenter or try to downplay it as if the complimenter is silly for even thinking it's worth a compliment. If you're being given a genuine compliment, it's nice to let the complimenter know you appreciate what they're saying. It's not hard - just smile and say thank you. Job done.

Anyway, this is meant to be about a compliment I received, so -

Tonight our Colombian Spanish teacher complimented my pronunciation. She said I sounded very authentically South American and I'm pumped. :)

We've only been studying Spanish for about four months and I know we have a long, long way to go but just to know I'm getting basics like pronunciation right is very exciting. I try to pay very close attention to the way our teachers pronounce their words and so to have a native speaker tell you that you sound authentic is HUGE. It motivates me so much to keep going and keep working harder.

And yes I replied with "Muchas gracias. Estoy intentando" (Thanks very much. I'm trying)

*This post is part of the November NaBloPoMo blogging challenge.

No comments: